Pages

10 February 2012

Something to be mad about

I've decided to refer to 2011 as the year of the fuzzy bubble - as in, I was in one. Mostly in recovery mode from the emotional exhaustion that hit (I finally acknowledged??) in January 2011.

One of the manifestations of emotional exhaustion is complete numbness, an inability/fear of emotion and an inability to care about stuff. It's horrible. Especially as I could remember some intense and welcome emotions that helped to define who I was and remind me that I was alive, engaged, connected, belonged and had a purpose. oh, and the worst writer's block I've ever had - the words were there, they just wou;dn't connect with my fingers.

Over the last month those emotions have returned. Yay! I'm a lot happy, lighter, more playful and able to consider the "what next?" questions in my life.

Also, it seems I am able to get mad about things that appall me, like the implications in this article by David Horton.

Whilst in the UK I had forgotten about the insidiousness of the IPA (Institute for Public Affairs), or perhaps I wanted to hope that we weren't an entire nation of gullible/wool-pulled-over-our-eyes idiots. It seems I was naive, and instead they have received massive funding from the mining industry, and have, through dint of being well-written, prolific and accessible to over-worked journalists, made their way into more mainstream media...

David's post then led me to the desmogblog, with their book (now high on my list of books to read), and their manifesto Slamming the Climate Sceptic Skam. It's a great analysis of what some elements of the PR industry are doing REALLY WELL to ensure that oil and energy companies don't have to change anything or have their enormous profits threatened.

Can you say the word propaganda?? It's not just something that was used in the second world war.

Time to get grumpy again.

What am I going to do about it? Well, my current job is one avenue for action. As is the website I built (with Geoff's help) over Christmas. It's in it's baby steps stage at the moment, but if you feel like listening into less ranty, more constructive posts then head over to Sustainably Literate.

No comments: